The mathematics department at Martin Luther High School is concerned with the application of mathematics to the present and future daily life of the student. Not only are certain basic math skills vital for daily living, but the learning of math also develops logical and rational thought processes to enhance the lives of the students. The goal in math at Martin Luther High School is to help the students develop their mathematical skills so they might better discover and develop the purpose God has for them in their careers and lives as Christians.
The students will: 1. Become more proficient in applying the skills and concepts learned in previous math courses. 2. Appreciate the need for precision and clarity in mathematical calculations and language. 3. Come to the realization that the basic knowledge of math can be learned by everyone and that math is essential to a full and productive life. 4. Realize the need for logical reasoning and clarity of thought in approaching any problem situation. 5. Be prepared to succeed in future math courses. 6. Be able to devise a method to attack new types of problems and test the solution for accuracy.
The goals in Math will be achieved through:
1. The review of necessary concepts from previous classes.
2. The use of specific math vocabulary so they can read and understand math text. Time-honored methods for problem solving will be demonstrated and practiced.
3. Teacher recommendation and placement testing in order to achieve initial placements of students in the appropriate level of difficulty in math. Courses will be taught with an emphasis on mastery of essential elements and designed for all to be successful. Through examples and practice, students will internalize materials.
4. Examples of logical reasoning and their explanations. Step-by-step explanations will be given for complex solutions. Proofs will be used to demonstrate inductive and deductive reasoning.
5. Courses like Consumer Math and Accounting that provide a foundation for lifetime math skills and some business careers; Algebra as a prerequisite for the upper level sciences; Pre-Calculus to prepare students for college courses; AP Calculus to give advanced students an early start on earning college credit.
Martin Luther Jr/Sr High School PO Box 228 315 Martin Luther Drive Northrop, MN 56075 Phone:507-436-5249 FAX:507-436-5240 E-Mail MLHS Honoring Christ...Welcoming All